October 07, 2010

GONE THRIFTIN'


Today, the GOOD FOOD fairy needed to get out on the road...she needed freedom...she needed to get out of the house, get out of town --Get outta Dodge!  I've just  finished reading Ranky Florke's decorating book called Your House, Your Home.  He is a Farmhouse man -- restoring, decorating and selling-- and he is a thrifter!  His motto is Economy, Comfort and Color.  So armed with some of his suggestions for thrifting and as we are in need of a couple things for the house, I go out thrifting.  
My sister told me yesterday, "Get out of the big city, things are too picked through.  Go out to where there's no one...where there are old people.  There you will find some good junk."  
I had one address for a thrift shop for a smaller town about 20 minutes away.  On the way, I came across a Goodwill I'd never visted and did a walk-through, but a Lady there at the art informed me that Goodwill's prices have "gone up!"  So I hop in the car and down the street I find an architectural  salvage store., but the prices are too high--not what I'm looking for.  
Now I head out towards my thrift shop address.  Farther and farther out of town I drive until I find this little Women's club with a sign for their thrift shop.  Bingo!  I park and head over to a jumble of things set out and right off see a perfect big basket with straps and two end red wooden end tables with potential.  I hear a pleasant voice with a sweet Germanic accent say, ""Anything you want from this pile you can have.  I've got to get rid of it before the next shipment comes."     I tell her that I'll take the basket and two red tables and she thinks for a minutes and says, would it be ok if you payed a dollar for each?  I told her that would be fine indeed.  
Then I enter the little store buzzing with cheerful, healthy white haired ladies.  I start looking at all of the plates and glass and right off I see the two green glass salt and pepper shakers.  I turn to the lady next to me and say, "These are beautiful!"  She says, "Those are depression era glass. Look it has a marking on the bottom."  I look round the store and make my way to the cashier desk--the hub of the ladies and they see my depression era green glass shakers for three dollars each and they start buzzing.
Lady behind the counter: "Ooo those are a depression era glass..."
Lady in Apron: "I used to have a whole set of that depression era glass ware...
Lady shopper peeking over:"I need to go get my other glasses so I can see right now that we're getting into depression era antiques."
Lady behind the counter: "Three dollars for each and two dollars for the tables. That's 8 dollars."
Lady in Apron: "Your getting real antiques today."

So there you have it.  I found two end tables for two dollars.  They may need a coat of paint, but for two dollars...a basket and depression era shakers!  Don't they look great on the counter? Did Tostadas, Spanish Rice and corn for dinner.  What did you all do for dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment