September 18, 2010

Soccer Saturday and Korean BBQ Sliders




Ahhhhhh Saturday.  The morning sun rises, the foggy marine layer breaks and like any self-respecting SoCal mother, I am sitting at the soccer fields by 8:15 a.m..  Showered and lip stick on. It's my middle dude's game and at this level of play in his league, no one keeps score.  Except, of course, the Horseman, so called because he was born in the year of the horse, and every other little dude playing soccer on that field.  The Horseman (featured above) scored two goals today.  Way to go Horseman!


Then we head over across town to Soda's game with Coach Dad.  At this level, I am happy if he 1) stays on the field and 2) kicks the ball in the right direction.  Here is the highlight:


Soda has spotted an opportunity to score, and he's on it.  I am screaming like a crazy woman with her hair on fire.
He's goin'...

goin'... (I'm getting hoarse now)


he shoots and he scores! "Good job Soda!" I yell, "Next time, kick it in the other goal!"
So it wasn't our team's net.  But whose keeping score-really?
 

So you know how yesterday I said I'd be shredding last night's leftovers from the "Simply Roast Chicken" for homemade tacquitos?  Guess what?  I forgot the kids had a birthday party and we we're all invited. Which means The Good Food Fairy was off the hook for dinner.  We had a fabulous time at our friends house and ate some very tasty sliders (the mini hamburgers) which had a zinging sweet note.  
    

I thought I'd be stealth and do some undercover investigation (I asked the man bbqing) to find out what he put in his ground beef...and he told me a riveting foodie tale about watching his mother marinade short ribs with a traditional Korean marinade -- soy sauce, garlic, sesame seed oil and sugar.  He told me how he liked to see what she marinated her meats with but didn't like her being at home.  I then asked "Why did you not like your mother being home? and he said because in high school a guy doesn't want his mom at home, so he can, you know and I said "hang out?" and he said "yeah, and stuff" and I said, "well that's exactly why your mom was at home."  Of course my boys will never feel that way about me, right?!


 He marinated the ground beef with the traditional Korean BBQ marinade.  Does that mean he mixed it all in and let it sit wrapped in the fridge?  Dang it!  I didn't ask.  The mini patties were barbecued, served up on halved dinner rolls and topped with bacon, sauteed red onions and crumbled blue cheese!  Ohh la la.  After a day on the soccer fields the Korean BBQ sliders hit the spot.  The Good Food Fairy will just have to fly on to tomorrow where left over roast chicken will be waiting for it's tacquito transformation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment